55g / 2oz Butter
55g / 2oz Plain Flour
425ml / 15fl ozs Chicken Stock
300ml / 10fl ozs Milk
2 Carrots, grated
175g / 6ozs Cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
Crusty bread to serve.
1. Melt the butter in a large pan, sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
2. Remove from theheat and gradually stir in the chicken stock and milk to make a smooth sauce.
3. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously. then simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the soup is thickened and smooth.
4. Add the grated carrot and simmer for a further 3 minutes then stir in the grated cheese.
5. When the cheese has melted season with salt and pepper.
Serve with crusty bread.